Grundy Area Vocational Center Home
Discover A Future That Works
Friendly Reminder: No GAVC on Veteran's Day, November 11, 2020.
PARENT TEACHER VIRTUAL CONFERENCE SIGN UP
Please select your student's teacher and sign up for a virtual conference on Thursday, October 22nd within the hours of 3:00 pm and 7:00 pm. We look forward to meeting with you! Thank you!
|TEACHER||GAVC CLASS||SIGN UP LINK|
|Mrs. Olivia Borne||Culinary Arts||BORNE HERE|
|Mr. Jim Cebulski||Welding||CEBULSKI HERE|
|Cosmetology (Leasure/Bunton)||Cosmetology||COSMO HERE|
|Mr. Brent Dite||Criminal Justice||DITE HERE|
|Ms. Deb Eungard||Early Childhood||EUNGARD HERE|
|Ms. Natalie Gregoire||Early Childhood, CC Campus||GREGOIRE HERE|
|Ms. Elise Hackett||Agriculture||HACKETT HERE|
|Mr. Jeff Hanley||Criminal Justice, CC Campus||HANLEY HERE|
|Mr. Seth Hedrick & Mr. Bob Humbert||Building Trades||HEDRICK/HUMBERT HERE|
|Mr. TJ McDavid||Engineering||MCDAVID HERE|
|Mr. Jay Radke||Cisco & IIT||RADKE HERE|
|Mr. Mike Ringa & Mr. Joe Vish||Fire Science||RINGA HERE|
|Mr. Rob Schwiesow||Automotive||SCHWIESOW HERE|
|Mrs. Jennifer Shell||Health Occupations||SHELL HERE|
|Mr. Joe Terrel||Computer Graphics & Entrepreneurship||TERREL HERE|
|Mr. Nick Wickman||Automotive||WICKMAN HERE|
9/18/2020: COAL CITY BASED PROGRAMMING UPDATE
THE FOLLOWING CHANGES GO INTO EFFECT ON MONDAY, 9/21/2020 AND ARE APPLICABLE TO GAVC PROGRAMS HOUSED AT COAL CITY HIGH SCHOOL AND COAL CITY EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTER:
1. COAL CITY CRIMINAL JUSTICE: ALL STUDENTS WILL REMAIN REMOTE UNTIL 9/30/2020.
2. COAL CITY EARLY CHILDHOOD: ALL REED CUSTER AND WILMINGTON STUDENTS MAY RETURN TO CC ECE FOR IN-PERSON LEARNING ON MONDAY.
3. AGRICULTURE: ALL REED CUSTER, WILMINGTON, MORRIS, AND MINOOKA STUDENTS MAY RETURN TO IN-PERSON LEARNING AT THE FARM.
4. CULINARY ARTS: ALL MORRIS AND GSW STUDENTS MAY ATTEND IN-PERSON AT THE GAVC MAIN MORRIS CAMPUS ON MONDAY.
GAVC IN-PERSON & REMOTE LEARNING UPDATE: 9/4/2020
Hello Team GAVC! I have another weekly update to share important information on our in-person and remote learning. A few items need your attention before next week. (Video HERE)
1. Attendance: Students who are absent, in person or remotely, must be called in by a guardian to GAVC to be marked excused. The GAVC attendance phone number is 815-942-4390, then press #1. Students not called in by a guardian will be marked "unexcused absence" by GAVC and we will be reporting this to the serving high school.
2. New Self Certification Process: Teachers have spent the last two days training students on how to use our new self certification portal on their cell phones. Students have all received logins and passwords to do so. Students should all save the website https://gavc.covidcleared.io to their device. Students will show administration at the door their "green light" for passing the certification and then proceed to class. Any student without a device may enter the main office and complete the certification there.
3. Grading: We share weekly grades with the serving high schools. Those students not participating in class or remotely are failing. It is the responsibility of the student to keep up with daily assignments and meet teacher requirements that were made clear in the online meetings which have now been posted on the website for two full weeks.
4. Required Registration Forms: Guardians were all mailed a postcard in July with detailed instructions on how to locate online registration and submit required forms. This mailing was followed by multiple calls and emails. Please, again, find the links below that have to be filled out to complete your student's registration. These forms must be submitted for students to continue at GAVC by September 25th.
**Many of you have already completed these forms, we thank you! Please disregard if you have done so.
GAVC Internet Acceptable Use Policy - HERE
GAVC Professional Development Policy - HERE
GAVC Attendance Policy - HERE
GAVC Photo Release Form - HERE
GAVC Handbook Link & Acknowledgement Form - HERE
Advanced Class Placement Rubric - HERE
Individual Class Welcome Letters & Uploads - HERE
WE REMAIN THANKFUL, OPTIMISTIC, AND EXCITED OUR DOORS ARE SAFELY OPEN AND WILL REMAIN SO WITH YOUR SUPPORT! - MRS. SKUBE
OPTIONAL REMOTE LEARNING UPDATE: 8/21/2020
WE ARE EXCITED TO LAUNCH OUR REMOTE LEARNING PROGRAMS FOR THOSE STUDENTS THAT HAVE CHOSEN THAT OPTION. IT WILL BEGIN ON MONDAY, AUGUST 24TH! HERE ARE FEW IMPORTANT REMINDERS TO GET YOUR STUDENTS STARTED:
1. ALL TEACHERS HAD VIRUTAL MEETINGS THS WEEK TO EXPLAIN THEIR REMOTE LEARNING REQUIREMENTS. PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO FOR YOUR CLASS BY CLICKING HERE AND SELECTING THE RECORDING.
2. STUDENTS WILL NEED TO LOGIN TO THEIR GOOGLE CLASSROOMS AND BE COUNTED FOR ATTENDANCE EACH MORNING, IF YOUR STUDENT IS STRUGGLING WITH THE LOGIN, PLEASE DIRECTLY EMAIL THE TEACHER. ALL TEACHER EMAILS MAY BE FOUND HERE.
3. ATTENDANCE WILL BE TAKEN DAILY AND MUST BE DONE BY THE TEACHER'S REQUIRED TIME. STUDENTS WHO FORGET TO SUBMIT ATTENDANCE WILL BE MARKED ABSENT.
FINAL BACK TO SCHOOL UPDATE: 8/14/2020
GAVC COVID SCHEDULES: HERE
1. CONFIRMATION OF ATTENDANCE: CLICK HERE TO CONFIRM YOUR METHOD OF ATTENDANCE IN PERSON OR REMOTE
2. SELF CERTIFICATION: COMPLETE HERE. MANDATORY BEFORE ENTRANCE TO ALL GAVC CAMPUSES ON MONDAY.
3. PARENT MEETING SCHEDULE: CLICK HERE. ALL TEACHERS WILL HOST VIRTUAL MEETINGS NEXT WEEK, FOLLOWED BY RECORDINGS OF THE MEETING FOR LATER VIEWING
SCHOOL RE-OPENING UPDATE 08/12/2020
GAVC IS EXCITED TO WELCOME YOUR STUDENTS TO CAMPUS ON 8/17/2020! HERE ARE SOME FAQ'S WE WOULD LIKE TO CLARIFY:
1. START DATE: WE ARE OPEN AND READY FOR STUDENTS ON MONDAY, AUGUST 17TH. IF YOUR HIGH SCHOOL DOES NOT START UNTIL A LATER DATE, THEY MAY CHOOSE TO ATTEND GAVC, BUT ARE NOT MANDATED TO DO SO, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF COSMETOLOGY.
2. TRANSPORTATION: STUDENTS MAY DRIVE TO ALL GAVC CAMPUSES, PARKING IS FREE. IF YOUR HIGH SCHOOL IS OFFERING TO PROVIDE TRANSPORTATION, CHECK WITH YOUR SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION FOR BUSSING SCHEDULES.
3. DAILY SCHEDULE/SYNCHRONOUS LEARNING: THE GAVC SCHEDULE (LINK BELOW) IS GOING TO BE VERY FLEXIBLE. IF YOUR HIGH SCHOOL IS ON REMOTE LEARNING, AND YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BE ONLINE FOR SYNCHRONOUS LEARNING TIME, YOU MAY ARRIVE TO AND DEPART FROM GAVC AT AN ADJUSTED TIME TO MEET UNIQUE NEEDS. WE WILL MONITOR DURING THE FIRST WEEKS AND UPDATE YOU OF ANY PERMANENT SCHEDULE CHANGES
4. SELF CERTIFICATION METHOD: ALL GUARDIANS MUST SELF CERTIFY YOUR STUDENT USING THIS LINK BEFORE ENTERING THE BUILDING ON MONDAY. A DAILY SELF CERTIFICATION PROGRAM WILL BE PUT INTO PLACE DURING THE FIRST WEEK.
5. CONFIRMATION OF ATTENDANCE METHOD: PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR PLANNED METHOD OF ATTENDANCE (IN PERSON OR REMOTE). CLICK HERE TO RESPOND.
COVID UPDATE 8/6/2020
PLEASE COMPLETE THIS SHORT FORM TO INDICATE IF YOU WOULD LIKE YOUR STUDENT TO PHYSICALLY ATTEND GAVC, EVEN IF THE HIGH SCHOOL HAS MOVED TO A REMOTE LEARNING PLAN. GAVC IS MAKING EVERY EFFORT TO INSTRUCT STUDENTS IN PERSON AND THIS INFORMATION WILL ALLOW US TO PLAN TO SAFELY MEET THE NEEDS OF ALL LEARNERS, IN PERSON AND REMOTELY. CLICK HERE TO RESPOND.
COVID SCHEDULE UPDATE (8/03/2020)
THE POSTED SCHEDULE SHARED BELOW IS STILL IN PLACE AND WE ARE READY TO ACCEPT STUDENTS IN PERSON BEGINNING AUGUST, 17, 2020. SHOULD YOUR STUDENT CHOOSE TO LEARN REMOTELY AT THE HIGH SCHOOL , HE OR SHE MAY STILL PHYSICALLY ATTEND GAVC FOR HANDS ON EXPERIENCE. GAVC WILL ALSO SUPPORT LEANERS REMOTELY IN AVAILABLE PROGRAMS. PLEASE CHECK HERE OFTEN, AS THIS SITUATION IS FLUID AND EVER CHANGING. WE WILL POST UPDATES HERE AS NEEDED.
PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR OUR BOARD APPROVED, COVID SCHEDULE FOR THE 2020 - 2021 SCHOOL YEAR. THIS SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE PENDING FUTURE LEGISLATIVE DIRECTION.
Welcome to the 2020-2021 GAVC school year! Instead of mailing class information, you will be receiving a postcard which includes the class your student is registered in. Please click HERE to choose the class listed and to view detailed information including welcome letters, order forms, supply lists, and requirements from the instructor.
*Special Note: Your registration progress can be saved. You will see a save button at the bottom of each form to save your information and continue at a later time. You will receive an email with a link to continue uploading needed documents.
We have also went to online registration this year. Please watch your email for further information regarding Teacherease registration and payment options.
Welding is off to another exciting year! The first year students have learned to cut with oxyacetylene torches. Right now, they are doing overhead cutting, which is much more difficult than it looks or sounds. Welding and cutting are often done in awkward positions, so they are learning skills that will help them greatly in the future. Our second year students are excited to start out the year with the GTAW (tig) process. They are discovering that it takes a lot of hard work to make welds that are structurally sound and look good. Although it can be frustrating at times, they are all rising to the challenge and we are pretty sure they are smiling under their masks the whole time.